Our education accelerator empowers early-stage education ventures to develop better products and services and become more sustainable organisations, ready to scale.
Since launching in 2014, we have supported over 70 ventures, including ImpactEd, CareerEar and DivInc. We backed 15 of the most promising ventures with over £1 million in seed capital, our portfolio includes Think for the Future, Smart School Councils, TalentEd, Potentially and Structural Learning.
We’re now looking to support social ventures who are working within the education curriculum with a focus on employability – working with young people to access, thrive and progress in their careers – from the creative industries to STEM. This could be work within early year’s education, primary, secondary or post-16.
If your initiative falls outside of employability focus but still aims to improve educational outcomes for disadvantaged young people, then get in touch and we will explore your initiative in more detail and suitability for the programme.
About the programme
The Young Academy is a 2-stage education accelerator for established social ventures working in the education and employability sectors.
Stage 1 | August – October 2019
At stage 1 we work with you to consolidate your offer and business model through a series of workshops. Our workshops follow a carefully designed curriculum supplemented with additional coaching and mentoring from partners.
Stage 2 | October – December 2019
At stage 2 we will work with a select number of ventures from stage 1 who are seeking to explore replication, scale and access to customers. Stage 2 will also be delivered through a programme of focussed workshops and we will work in partnership with gateway organisations such as schools, colleges and employers.
In addition to these workshops you will also have access to:
- 1 to 1 coaching with experts in education, impact measurement and venture development.
- 1 to 1 support with volunteers at our corporate partners who are experts in strategy, business and finance.
- Product or service testing in a real setting with feedback from prospective users.
- Support and challenge with a cohort of peers from a range of backgrounds.
- New networks and access to prospective funders, investors and supporters.
We are hoping to support ventures who meet the following criteria:
- You have a legal structure (e.g. you are registered as a CIC or charity).
- You have been operating for at least 12 months.
- You are working within the education curriculum with a focus on employability – working with young people to access, thrive and progress in their careers – from the creative industries to STEAM. This could be work within early year’s education, primary, secondary or post-16.
- You have early evidence data – indicators for positive impact from your initiative.
- You are willing and prepared to work in partnership to scale your social impact.
- You are willing to share learning and to work as part of a cohort.
- You are open to receive and act on feedback and operate honestly.
Additionally, those ventures we work with at stage 2 should:
- Thoroughly understand the problem you are tackling.
- Have developed a clear ‘core’ service or product and be clear on what specific elements of the intervention need to be replicated to achieve impact.
- Have a meaningful vision for how you want the project to develop.
- Have promising evidence of social impact.
- Have the resources and capacity in place and a willingness to fully participate in the programme.
Applications for the 2019 round of the accelerator closed on 28 July 2019.