Nicola was the Young Foundation’s Director of Local Projects from 2006 to August 2012 and led its work with local authorities and other partner agencies on local social innovation. The team she led has worked with over 100 local authorities, as well as Whitehall departments, community organisations and front line agencies; she also advised governments in the UK and internationally. Nicola is a Founding Director of new venture Social Life, which is working with built environment agencies to put people at the heart of placemaking.
Nicola set up the Young Foundation’s advisory work and also instigated and developed major programmes on Communities, Wellbeing preventative investment and London as well as innovation in local government. These brought together a variety of agencies in cross-sectoral partnerships and collaboratives, with the aim of improving the quality of life for individuals and communties by changing the way that services are delivered on the ground. She also helped to build the social design practice, bringing new approaches to the existing range of methods used by the team.
Nicola also set up Resilience, a new venture that will scale up resilience training to different groups, building on our pilot work in schools and with young people.
Before joining The Young Foundation, Nicola worked at the Home Office where she was a Deputy Director of the Anti-social Behaviour Unit; part of her remit focused on young people and family support. Previously she was Director of Safe in the City, an SRB-funded action research programme set up to pilot new ways of preventing youth homelessness in London by working with young people and their families. She was also Director of Policy at Shelter where she carried out major projects on housing investment, housing benefit and changes needed to the homelessness legislation.
List of publications :
- Never Again: avoiding the mistakes of the past
- Citizen engagement and accountability: prospects for the future?
- Local Wellbeing: Can We Measure It?
- Seeing the wood for the trees - The evolving landscape for neighbourhood arrangements
- North East London: a case study of globalisation
- The World in our Neighbourhood
- Good Neighbours
- Transforming Neighbourhoods: Lessons from Local Work in Fifteen Areas
- Making the most of local innovations
- Transformers: How local areas innovate to address changing social needs
- Neighbourliness + Empowerment = Wellbeing: Is there a formula for happy communities?
- Devolving funds to local communities
- Collaborative projects on youth crime
- Parenting and Wellbeing: knitting families together
- Going green and beating the blues
- Innovation and value: new tools for local government in tough times
- Taking the temperature of local communities: The Wellbeing and Resilience Measure (WARM)
- Building resilient communities
- Design for Social Sustainability
- A review of urban Community Land Trusts in England
- The wellbeing and resilience paradox