Nicola is the Foundation Director of Social Life, a centre for expertise on innovation and peacemaking set up by the Young Foundation in 2012.
Nicola was the Young Foundation’s Director of Local and Advisory Projects until 2012, leading our programmes with councils and other partner agencies on local social innovation, communities and wellbeing.
Nicola has been a Deputy Director of the Home Office Anti-Social Behaviour Unit, director of an award-winning youth homelessness charity and Director of Policy at Shelter. She has advised agencies across sectors in the UK and internationally.
Nicola is a fellow of the Academy of Urbanism, a Design Council BEE and a member of the Brent Design Advice Panel and a mentor for Bethnal Green Ventures.
List of publications :
- Seeing the wood for the trees - The evolving landscape for neighbourhood arrangements
- North East London: a case study of globalisation
- The World in our Neighbourhood
- Good Neighbours
- Transforming Neighbourhoods: Lessons from Local Work in Fifteen Areas
- Making the most of local innovations
- Transformers: How local areas innovate to address changing social needs
- Neighbourliness + Empowerment = Wellbeing: Is there a formula for happy communities?
- Devolving funds to local communities
- Local Wellbeing: Can We Measure It?
- Collaborative projects on youth crime
- Citizen engagement and accountability: prospects for the future?
- Parenting and Wellbeing: knitting families together
- Going green and beating the blues
- Never Again: avoiding the mistakes of the past
- Innovation and value: new tools for local government in tough times
- Taking the temperature of local communities: The Wellbeing and Resilience Measure (WARM)
- Building resilient communities
- Design for Social Sustainability
- A review of urban Community Land Trusts in England
- The wellbeing and resilience paradox