The Young Foundation is looking for a self-starting Digital Communications Manager to join our team in London.
Job Title: Communications Manager
Hours: Full Time – but will consider flexible working
Salary £35,000 – £38,000 per annum, plus benefits
Location: Bethnal Green, London E2 9PF
About the Young Foundation
Connected, thriving communities are the foundation of our society. They keeps us safer, happier and healthier – more resilient and able to face shared challenges. Today, the Young Foundation’s mission is to enable the development of connected, more sustainable and stronger communities across the UK. We do this through amplifying the stories and lived experiences of people in our communities; using this as a spur to drive locally-led community action and enterprise. We use what we learn across different communities to spot national patterns of need and opportunity, then work with national partners to support new ideas to tackle those shared challenges. Bringing together our own – and other people’s – work, we are building a shared body of evidence, tools and insight about how communities are taking action on the issues that affect them.
Purpose of the Role
The Young Foundation is a charitable foundation and accredited research institute with a long track record in supporting social innovation and engaging and working with communities across the UK. Working closely with the Senior Management Team, the Communications Manager is responsible for increasing awareness of our mission and our work with key audiences, primarily through our digital channels. The post holder will be responsible for raising the profile of the organisation; bringing our new strategy to life.
- Develop and implement a strong digital media strategy to grow the Young Foundation’s profile and understanding of the work that we do
- Support research and programme teams to maximise the reach of their work
- Lead on the production of Young Foundation reports and outputs, including creation and delivery of all digital outputs
- Lead on the refresh and maintenance of the Young Foundation’s website
- Copywriting for online media and implementing message discipline across all media
- Maintain and build our social media presence
- Design & distribute regular e-newsletters
- Monitor all online channels through use of Google Analytics, producing regular reports for CEO
- Lead on liaison with a range of designers and printers to commission content as required keeping to deadlines and ensuring quality control
- Maintaining brand guidelines for all Young Foundation publications and outputs
- Ensure compliance with all legal requirements and communications best practice especially in relation to the GDPR.
- Three years’ communications experience, preferably with a strong digital focus
- Experience of website content management systems (including WordPress)
- Experience of producing/project managing the development of digital products
- Experience of producing and designing publications and/or of overseeing brand development and implementation
- Experience of organising events and engaging trade and national press
- Adobe skills and proven experience in use of Photoshop, InDesign.
Skills & abilities:
- Writing skills: You will need excellent copywriting, editing and proofreading skills as well as a journalistic ‘nose’ to source great stories from our staff and projects.
- Interpersonal skills: You will have excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills and possess the confidence to engage with senior management and explain communication activities to them and why they will be impactful.
- Creative skills: You’ll have a proven creative flair, and the ability to devise communication plans that speak to our key audiences. Familiarity with digital and video means of communication and understanding the sector we are working in public is crucial.
- Project management skills: In a team of one, you’ll need the ability to juggle multiple tasks, prioritise your own work and meet internal and external deadlines with tenacious eye for quality and detail.
- Digitally savvy with proven experience and knowledge of how to use key IT and design packages.
How to apply
The closing date for applications is 9am on Monday 17th September. First round interviews will take place week commencing the 24th September with second round interviews taking place week commencing 1st October.
Please send a CV and a covering letter setting out how your skills and relevant experience relate to the person specification to firstname.lastname@example.org
You might also want to point us to previous work that you’re particularly proud of.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background. You must have the right to live and work in the UK. Non-EU nationals who require a work permit in order to take up employment will not be considered.