Change makers from across Northern Ireland are today pitching their big ideas for tackling inequality to funders and experts at Belfast’s Innovation Factory.
For the past six months, ten teams, made up of both volunteers and professionals from the community sector, have been working alongside their local communities to develop project ideas for making Northern Ireland a fairer place. Today’s event is the culmination of Amplify NI’s People’s Accelerator, which supports the development of social innovations with the aim of addressing social issues and inequalities.
The event brings together experts and funders from the worlds of academia, government, business, the community and voluntary sector to support these innovations to grow, to build new relationships, and foster new ideas.
One of the teams, Kippie, aims to improve the opportunities of socially excluded and isolated young people in Northern Ireland through the power of mobile gaming and storytelling. Based in the North West, where the unemployment rate is almost twice the Northern Ireland average, Kippie will help young people to learn coding, programming and a range of transferable skills.
Another of the teams, GLOW, was formed by a group of women in North and West Belfast to overcome issues experienced by many women they know: low self-esteem, isolation and mental health problems. GLOW’s big idea is a personal development and mentoring programme to help women access the support they need to increase their confidence and achieve their goals.
Roger Warnock, Programme Lead for Amplify NI, said:
We believe that good ideas for making change can come from people from all backgrounds and walks of life, especially from those that have lived experience of them. Through the People’s Accelerator, we’re honoured to work alongside such creative and passionate people, and we’re excited to see them put their ideas into practice.
Amplify NI undertakes research with communities to build understanding about the things people value and the changes they would like to see, and supports people and organisations to put their ideas into action. The next People’s Accelerator will be in spring 2018. Further information can be found at www.amplifyni.org/accelerator.
Keep informed with updates from the event on Twitter: @AmplifyNI
Notes to editors:
- The People’s Accelerator Showcase Day takes place between 10am and 1.30pm on Tuesday 5th September 2017, at the Innovation Factory Belfast.
- At Amplify NI, we bring people together to:
- Listen to their lived experiences of inequality by spending time with them in their own places
- Help them develop ideas for improving their communities
- Create, support and grow innovative projects, collaborations and campaigns to make change happen
- Amplify Northern Ireland is funded by the Big Lottery fund NI and facilitated by The Young Foundation www.youngfoundation.org
- For further information, please contact Alice Neeson on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07957759014.